Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe
Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe
WRM Security Services Inc. is a Riverhead, Long Island, New York, NY 11901 Security and Investigative Agency. We live, work and raise our families on Long Island and are proud to serve the residents of Nassau County, NY and Suffolk County NY.
I would like to share some simple tips to help Long Islander’s keep their homes safe and help reduce the incident of burglary. Families are working harder than ever here on Long Island and as a result are away from home for longer periods of times. These extended periods of time can increase the likelihood that a burglar will choose to hit your home. So below I have listed several simple security tips that can decrease your chances of being burglarized.
- Always lock all doors and window in your home. Make sure all persons living in your home have a working key to enter the house. Many people leave a door open in the rear of the house so that children coming home from school can get in the home. Burglars most often enter a place through an open door or window and like the ones open in the back of the house.
- Always set your alarm when leaving the home even if you are leaving for a short time.
I know what you are thinking. This is common sense. Well, you are right, but as a former police officer I can not tell you how many times I took reports of burglary from victims who just forgot to lock a door or window. No forced entry. The criminals just walk around checking doors until they find and easy victim. So reminding people to to the simple things can and always help.
Here are some safety tips that can help safeguard your Long Island, NY home from burglars who are not so easily deterred by locks and alarms.
- Exterior doors should be affixed with a good quality deadbolt with a bolt that has a hardened steal insert and a minimum throw of one inch.
- Double exterior doors should be equipped with a vertical throw deadbolt.
- All door locks should have a five pin tumbler.
- Sliding doors need a lock system that prevents the door form being opened or lifted off the tracks.
- Always change your locks when moving into a new home. You will never know who the former homeowner gave a key too. If a key is lost is is advisable to change all the locks that the lost key was used for.
- Get to know your neighbors on either side of you. Exchange cell numbers so that if they are home and see something they deem suspicious they can call or text message you and you can do the same. As a former police officer I can tell you that nosey neighbors prevent and solve crimes.
- Never give a neighbor a key. I don’t care how long you know them. Close, close friends and family only, please!
- Install Beware of Dog signs and Alarm company signs even if you don’t have a dog or an alarm. Burglars like easy targets.
- If you are going away on an extended vacation put a hold on your mail and newspaper delivery. You don’t want these things piling up and giving notice that you are not home.
- Call forward your home phone to your cell when away so that you can answer and it appears your are home.
- Leave some lights on in several rooms in the home and put on a radio or TV in the house when you go away to make it appear someone is home.
- Make sure to make arrangements to have you snow shoveled and your grass cut if going away for some time. Make it appear that the home is being cared for and people are home.
- Never leave ladders in your yard to make it easy for burglars to climb to a second story window. Burglars know that most people leave second story windows open.
- Make sure that you secure your garage door. Burglars can enter your garage if not properly locked and then either enter the house from an interior garage entry door or close the door and break through a wall to enter the home undetected.
- Never FaceBook that you are on vacation. Today, many people are telling way too much information to strangers on social networking sites. Remember to remind your children to be careful and not let on that you are going away on social networking sites.
- Finally, if you can afford have a high tech alarm system installed that has apps for your smartphone you should. These systems allow users to control the system through the smartphone. CCTV Video Cameras systems are another high tech safety feature that allows users to view the home remotely via a computer when not at home. If you have the extra money this is the best way to go.
I hope these tips help our Long Island, New York familes stay safe. We are Long Island New York’s Premier Private Investigations and Security Services Agency proudly serving the residents of both Nassau County and Suffolk County, NY.
Our team members are trained investigators & process servers. If you need of a private investigator or process server let us help! We are experts in locating hard to serve individuals and have a track record of successful investigative work. Our professional process servers are backed by private investigators who have prior law enforcement, security and process service experience and have been in the field for many years.
Remember: A quote for services is always free. You can speak with an investigator at any time to discuss the particulars of your pending case. We will help you decide the best options for your service at the lowest cost.
We take great pride in all our serves, whether they are simple routine services or the more difficult investigative serves. Our team strives to be as diligent and effective as possible when handling these matters.
Call us today for any private investigation, process service or security issue. We can be reached 24/7. A trained Investigator will return your call as soon as possible. There is always a free consultation.
Share this content.
WRM Security Services is a licensed, bonded and insured Private Investigations, Security & Process Services Agency based in Long Island, New York. We currently have offices in Riverhead -11901 and Melville- 11747, Long Island New York.
Process Services. We serve all of Nassau County to the Queens Border and Suffolk County's North Fork all the way to Orient Point and the South Fork all the way to Montauk Point. In addition, we are licensed by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs as a New York City Process Server Agency and our vice president is an individually licensed process server in New York City. New York City is currently the only jurisdiction in the State of New York that requires agencies and individual process servers to be licensed and bonded and we are licensed in the City of New York. As a N.Y.C.D.C.A. licensed Agency and licensed Individual Server we can legally perform and distribute process services in the City of New York. This includes all five (5) Boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens & Staten Island). License No. 2015203-DCA
Private Investigations. We are a licensed, bonded and insured Private Investigations Agency licensed by the New York State Department of State. As a licensed private investigation agency, we are licensed to perform investigations and security in all of New York State. Licensed No. 11000151504