As we all know all know social media sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter LinkedIn has become an intricate part of our lives. These sites allow us to connect to our colleges, new and old friends and professional acquaintances on a daily basis. We openly share our opinions, daily struggles, health, current and future plans and pictures. Sharing this personal information can be virtually instantaneous and, of course, worldwide. It is estimated that there over 800 million registered Facebook users worldwide and there are over 150 million tweets every day. As social media has grown so has their use by insurance companies that want to know more about the people they insure. Disability, medical liability and workers compensation insurers now regularly use Facebook & Twitter to uncover fraud. Here are some very interesting facts:
- 800 million active users
- More than 50% of the active users log on each and every day
- The average user has 130 friends
- The average user is connected to 80 community pages, events and groups
- Over 200 billion posts are liked or commented on each day.
- Over 100 million active users
- More than half log on each day - Approximately 55 million
- 40 % of active users log in to read about what is happening in their world.
- More that 120 million users
- Operates the world’s largest professional network on the internet
- More that 2 million companies have LinkedIn company pages
- LinkedIn counts executive from all 2011 fortune 500 companies as members.
- Its corporate hiring solution are used by 75 of fortune 100 companies
- LinkedIn represents a valuable demographic for marketers with an affluent and influential membership These are staggering statistics. With this amount of growth and vast information it canbe quite useful tool for investigators and others.